SPF: Why it’s Essential to your Skincare Routine
As we approach the summer season and have the opportunity to get outside again, people want to enjoy the sun. Whether it be hanging out by a pool, sitting on a patio or just out on your daily stroll, any moment in the sun is not a moment taken for granted (especially in Canada).
It’s for this reason that conversations regarding SPF need to be had. For many people, SPF is only important when it comes to direct sunlight; or not at all. In fact, for many years, people have gone without sunscreen in hopes of a sunkissed glow.
But we forget just how powerful the sun and its effects are...sunscreen should be an essential step to our everyday skincare routines whether we like it or not. Why is that you ask? Well, as the world gets warmer and holes develop within the ozone layer, the UV index becomes stronger and therefore the sun's rays become more and more damaging to our skin, eyes and immune systems. In reality, using SPF is fundamental to our overall health.
Here are some reasons as to why you need to use SPF:
- Decreases the risk of skin pre-cancers and cancers
- Protects against sunburns (everyone can get burned, whether you notice it or not)
- Avoid early wrinkles, sagging skin and age spots
- Avoid hyperpigmentations or inflammation of the skin
- Simply, you need to protect yourself from sun damage… it won’t appear right away but it can have dire consequences
What to look for in your SPF:
- “Broadspectrum” because it protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Zinc Oxide is also important to consider as it is mineral SPF protection.
- The higher the SPF, the more the protection you will have from the sun
- Water Proof- this way you are protected against water & sweat
- Be sure to use sunscreen appropriately and this means to apply more than once a day (especially if you are sitting in direct sunlight), under makeup and on every part of your body that is visible to the sun
- Do all that you can to avoid exposure. So wear your sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat and keep an eye on the forecast so you know when UV rays are higher than usual
Zero-Waste sunscreens for all your SPF needs:
Butter Me Up Organics
waste-free paper board natural sunscreen $19.23 CAD
Bee You Organics
Zero-waste mineral sunscreen with bug repellent $16.71 CAD
Zero waste, reef safe Coconut Sunscreen Balm $9.71 CAD
Regardless of your skin tone, or where you live in the world, SPF is essential and should become part of your everyday skin & body care routine. Trust us, your future self will thank you later!